1964-First priminister of India, Jawahar lal nehru died due to heartattack.
- 1905 – Russo-Japanese War: The Battle of Tsushima begins.
- 1940 – World War II: In the Le Paradis massacre, 99 soldiers from a Royal Norfolk Regiment unit are shot after surrendering to German troops; two survive.
- 1941 – World War II: U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt proclaims an “unlimited national emergency”.
- 1941 – World War II: The German battleship Bismarck is sunk in the North Atlantic killing almost 2,100 men.
- 1942 – World War II: In Operation Anthropoid, Reinhard Heydrich is fatally wounded in Prague; he dies of his injuries eight days later.
- 1957 – Nitin Gadkari, Indian lawyer and politician, Indian Minister of Transport
- 1962 – Ravi Shastri, Indian cricketer and sportscaster