Crime can happen with anybody and one should know that how to report a crime in police station.Citizens should know about the hierarchy for reporting a crime in police station. Crime is known as offence in criminal law.There are two types of offences,first is cognizable offences and second is non-cognizable offences.you can see the classification in table below:
Stages of reporting the cognizable offences:
- Complaint in police station:If crime is cognizable and victim approached the police station,police will register the first information report(herinafter referred to as F.I.R.) immediately under section 154 of criminal procedure code(hereinafter referred to as CRPC) and start the investigation to collect the evidences of crime.
- If police refused to register F.I.R.:If police refuse to register F.I.R. under CRPC 154(1), In cognizable offences complainant may write to Superitendent of Police (In some places known as circle officer) in section CRPC 154(3) to Register F.I.R
- If Superitendent of Police refused to register F.I.R.:If police & SP refuse to register F.I.R. under CRPC 154(1) & CRPC 154(3) and offence is cognizable, complainant may approach to concerned magistrate court u/s CRPC 156(3) to direct police to register F.I.R..
- Trail:After registration of F.I.R. and investigation/arresting/collection of evidence and thereafter police will file report/chargesheet in court and trial will proceed.
Stages of reporting the non-cognizable offences:
- Complaint in police station:Non cognizable report(hereinafter referred to as N.C.R.) will be registered by police under CRPC 155(1) and no investigation will be done by police because police doesn’t have power to investigate the non-cognizable offences.
- Application under CRPC 155(2) to magistrate:Applicaton to direct the police to investigate the N.C.R. should be filed in court.
- Trail:After registration of N.C.R. investigation/collection of evidences will be done by police and thereafter police will file report/chargesheet in court and trial will proceed.
Hierarchy can be seen in below image:
viewers can see and hear the whole process in the video:
Please like,share and comment.